July 10, 2012

Super Hero Cape

Well Hello. I Know It's Been A While Since I Posted Anything, But That's Because I Have Been Traveling. It Just So Happens That I Leave Town Again Today, So I Wanted To Send Out This Post Before I Disappeared Again.

I Stole This Project Idea From My Mother. She Had Made A Cape For My Nephew and Cousins and When Our Good Friend's Son Was Turning 1, I Thought It Would Be a Perfect Gift For Him (Side Note: He Started Walking At 11 Months, So I Knew He Could Run Around Wearing It!!!)

My Mother Had Purchase The Pattern From Georgia Leigh's Etsy Store Here. You Can Go Onto Her Website Here to Get More Ideas and Appliques.

Here Are the Items You Will Need:


1. Two Different Pieces of Fabric (yardage will depend on the size you want to make it)
I Chose Blue & Red Color Since They Seem to Be the Universal Colors For SuperHero's.
The Material was a Polyester/Rayon Mix, But You Can Use Whatever Material You Want.


2. Sheets of Felt. The Color Is Going to Be Determined On What Symbols/Letters/Designs You Chose. I Knew I Had To Incorporate Green On This One Since Our Friend's Son's Room is Green.


 Eh, Just Another Picture Of The Previously Mentioned Materials


3. Fusible Webbing. The Yardage on This Will Be Determined On How Much You Need.  This Will Be Used To Attach The Felt to The Cape.


JoAnn's Carries Pellon and The 725 Heavy-Duty Wonder-Under Was the Perfect Stiffness and It Is 2-Sided. Not All Fusible Webbing is 2-Sided, so Be Careful You Don't Get the Wrong One!
(Side Note: Another option to attaching the felt is to sew it on. You can use a simple Straight Stitch or even a Zig-Zag.)


Here is The Cape I Made For My Friend's Son.  'WCA' Are His Initials. I Attached The Straps With Velcro. You Can Do A Snap or Hook & Loop Closures, But This Was Much Easier to Take Off Of and Put On a Baby Who Doesn't Want to Stay Still For Very Long!


So, Since the First Cape I Sewed Didn't Turn Out Exactly How I Liked It, I Kept it For My Daughter.  She Is a Little 'Wonder Woman'!



I Printed the 'Wonder Woman' Logo Onto an Iron-On Transfer, Which Was Ironed Onto A White Piece of Felt. The Tricky Part Was Getting The Logo Onto The Black Piece of Felt Since the Iron-On Transfer Was Exposed (I Hope This Makes Sense). Basically, I Was Not Able to Use the Fusible Webbing For Any Part Of the Logo. I Used Fabric-Tac by Beacon. I Did Use the Fusible Webbing For The Silver Stars.


It's Still A Little Big For Her, But She Will Grow Into It!

No comments:

Post a Comment